Metropolitan Districts 1-6
The Independence Metropolitan Districts are Title 32 Special Districts that were established for the purpose of financing public improvements for the use and benefit of the residents and taxpayers of the Districts. The Districts encompass 1,011 acres and are located North of the intersection of County Road 158 and County Road 5 in Northwest Elbert County.
• Districts 1, 2, 3 and 4 are Metropolitan Districts for residential development;
• Proposed Districts 5 and 6 will be for additional residential development;
• Proposed Commercial District will be for Commercial development;
• The Overlay District is a Metropolitan District that acts in lieu of an HOA; and
• The Independence Water & Sanitation District provides water and sanitary sewer
facilities and services to the entire Independence Development.
2023 Elections are complete and election results are posted on the individual District web pages on this site.
The strategically and carefully planned Independence community employs innovative conservation methods to preserve open space, water, energy, and other natural resources to directly benefit all residents of Elbert County.
Space to Live
Independence offers the highest percentage of dedicated open space comparable to other master plan communities in Colorado. Over 433 acres will be preserved in a contiguous and natural state to encourage wildlife and migration throughout the community, while expansive setbacks from neighboring residences and local roads will reduce the community’s impact on current residents.